Make sure you are registered to vote!

February 14, 2005 10:39 AM

If the General Election is called for 5th May, which is what all the commentators expect, only people on the electoral roll by 11 March will be able to vote. That means there is just one month left to register.

You can only vote in elections if your name is on the register of electors for your area. The register is updated in the autumn each year. However, entries can be added or deleted throughout the year. Anyone who thinks they are not on the electoral roll at their home address can get a form and return it to their local council.

To register, you must be:

  • 16 or over (you cannot vote until your 18th birthday);
  • a British or Commonwealth citizen; or
  • a citizen of the Irish Republic or of another EU member state.

Citizens of EU member states other than the UK or the Irish Republic cannot vote in Westminster elections and must fill in a separate form to vote in European elections.

In Rochdale residents should phone the council on 01706 864758 and asked for an electoral registration form. People living in other areas should contact their local council.