We store cookies on your device to make sure we give you the best experience on this website. I'm fine with this - Turn cookies off
Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)
info@rochdalelibdems.org.uk

Council scheme goes Manchester wide

October 3, 2007 12:00 AM

A pioneering scheme that started life in Rochdale is about to be rolled out to the rest of Greater Manchester.

The Good Guy scheme, led by Rochdale Council, involves retailers pledging their support for a code of conduct that will restrict firework nuisance in the weeks leading up to bonfire night.

The council's trading standards service has now signed up a further six authorities to take part.

Good Guy retailers will refuse to sell fireworks before the 15 October and after 10 November and will make sure all purchasers are aware of their responsibilities. The only concession will be to the few retailers who have a year-round licence to sell fireworks.

Rochdale Borough Council's Safer Communities Manager, John Johnson said: "We want people who live, work and visit the borough to be safe and feel safe. The Good Guy scheme demonstrates that local traders have a positive regard for public safety and that local agencies are working well together to tackle anti-social behaviour."

Rochdale Council last year saw a significant reduction in complaints about firework sales and firework nuisance in the borough as a direct result of the scheme.

Council Leader, Alan Taylor said: "Last year, reports of firework nuisance were down by a third and the number of complaints about underage sales also dropped. We are delighted with the results and are pleased that this is now being rolled out across Greater Manchester."

Steve Beckley, Assistant County Fire Officer responsible for Fire Safety for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said: "Working with our partners to address the issue of sales of fireworks is one way we can help to reduce the number of incidents we attend. Too many times we see the young people of Greater Manchester suffering injuries from fireworks, and partnerships like this can only help to reduce that figure".

The scheme will be launched across Greater Manchester this Thursday 4 October.