Cemetery extension on track for September

July 29, 2009 12:00 AM

Councillor Malcolm Bruce is delighted that work on our cemetery has begun!Work has begun on developing the new extension to Heywood Cemetery. The two-acre area, adjacent to the existing cemetery, was identified for new graves after it was revealed 12 months ago that land used for new Church of England graves at the Rochdale Road East site would be full by the end of the year.

The Council had originally considered closing Heywood Cemetery to new graves and re-locating all new graves to Rochdale after it was revealed that the land ring fenced by the Council was unsuitable. However, local residents and politicians voiced their concerns over the original plans and the pressure paid off when the extension to the current site was secured later last year.

Heywood North Councillor Peter Rush, whose Harold Lees Road home is within sight of the cemetery, said: "I am delighted that this essential work is now underway. When I discovered there was a possibility that the Council would recommend the Cemetery being moved away from Heywood I made it my priority that we seek an extension to the existing site. Heywood residents need a place in Heywood to lay their loved ones to rest. I am delighted that my colleagues on the Cabinet listened to my demands and I look forward to the work being completed."

Leader of the Council Alan Taylor said: "The extension will provide Heywood Township with further new burial space at Heywood Cemetery for the next 25 years. I am glad to see that the project is on target and scheduled to be completed in September before land space in the existing cemetery expires. I would like to thank Councillor Rush for raising this important issue and I hope this demonstrates the Liberal Democrat Council's commitment to the people of Heywood."