Newspapers back Liberal Democrats as a force for good in British politics
Originally published by UK Liberal Democrats
Newspapers from across the political divide are united in their belief Liberal Democrats have been a force for good in government.
In their editorials, national titles recognise the Liberal Democrats achievements in government and the stability the party has brought to the country in the last five years.
The newspapers also acknowledge that in the inevitability of a hung parliament, the Liberal Democrats will anchor Britain in the centre ground and stop a lurch to the right or the left.
- The Independent: Many of the Government's achievements are owed to the Liberal Democrats. The party has been "a force for progress". The Coalition deserves another chance.
- The FT: The country would benefit from Liberal Democrat "moderation" in Westminster" - in seats where the Lib Dems are challenging "we would vote tactically for them."
- The Times: The best hope for the country is for the Conservatives to team up with the Liberal Democrats again. Vote for Nick Clegg in Sheffield Hallam.
- The Guardian: "...the next Commons would be enhanced by the presence of Lib Dem MPs." Vote for the Liberal Democrats in Tory-facing seats.
- Sunday Times: Nick Clegg and his Lib Dem colleagues deserve to stay. Tory supporters in Labour-Lib Dem marginals "may wish to vote for the Lib Dem candidate".
- The Sun: Where only the Lib Dems can beat Labour, "give the Lib Dems your vote this time".
- The Economist: The best hope for Britain is with a continuation of the Coalition.
- The People: Lib Dems tempered Tory excess and delivered the last government's greatest success with a tax-free allowance worth £800.
Deputy Prime Minister and Liberal Democrat Leader Nick Clegg said:
"As we enter the final stretch of the campaign, more and more people are recognising that only the Liberal Democrats can keep Britain safe, stable and fair.
"Everybody knows that no one will win the election outright, so the big question you face is: who do you want influencing the next Government?
"Do you want an unstable minority government with either UKIP or the SNP dragging Britain off to the extremes of left and right, or do you want the Liberal Democrats to keep Britain in the stable centre-ground?
"Our party has put the country first and shown that coalitions can be strong and stable.
"It's wonderful that even our harshest critics now acknowledge the Liberal Democrats have been, and will be, a force for good in British public life."